CHR short paper limit - accommodating CV dual submission policy

I know the Computer Vision for/with Humanities (data) community isn’t that well represented yet at CHR, and when reading the CFP I realised one way that might attract more publications from CV might be to adapt the short paper guideline. The main CV conferences (CVPR, ICCV, ECCV) all follow the same policy with regards to dual/double submission (CMT submissions Website | CVPR 2021) which is typically followed by other CV conferences such as BMVC.

This policy doesn’t allow submission with substantial overlap; where substantial is defined as 20% or more, which is quite restrictive. But the policy also offers the great option in that papers of 4 pages or less are not considered publications, i.e.: “A publication, for the purposes of this policy, is defined to be a written work longer than four pages (excluding references) that was submitted for review by peers for either acceptance or rejection, and, after review, was accepted.”. Explicitly accommodating this policy would make it more appealing for CV researchers that have a DH/CH leaning to submit to CHR, as it doesn’t involve choosing between venues.

I’m aware that the CFP defines short papers as ‘up to 3000 words (ca. 6 pages references, abstract and tables/illustrations excluded)’, so in theory one could submit a short paper of <= 4 pages. But 4 pages including abstract & tables/figures is a lot shorter than the current ‘short paper’, and might require a different reviewing approach.

A different submission type, or shortening the short paper, would in my view make CHR more attractive for CV people. Although I understand this might go against the aim of attracting original research and to be a home for research that doesn’t fit elsewhere! Happy to hear thoughts on this.

2 Likes