Postdoctoral Position in Natural Language Processing: Text reuse and cooccurrences

Hello,

My name is Marie Bizais-Lillig. I work on a large body of medieval Chinese texts. I edit these texts in XML-TEI format. I have also used Blast-based scripts to identify cases of text reuse. I am not very satisfied with the results. The project that I lead, which is entitled CHI-KNOW-PO, is funded by the Institute of Advanced Studies of the University of Strasbourg (USIAS, France).

The CHI-KNOW-PO project aims to develop tools to identify cases of text reuse and thematic cooccurrences in a more efficient way. The team will be composed of two research assistants, one postdoctoral researcher and myself.

This message is meant to publicize the job offer related to the postdoctoral position.

I am looking for someone with experience in programming system design for text processing analysis using Python, preferably trained in NLP. This person does not need to speak either French nor Chinese although some understanding of the Chinese script system will be useful (I can offer an introduction to it very easily). Excellent command of both spoken and written English is mandatory.

The position is full time for a duration of up to two years. Part of the work can be carried from a distant work place. However, it will necessitate on site meeting (either in Paris or in Strasbourg) once every two or three weeks (unless the pandemic situation forbids it).

The job will consist in contributing to setting up the textual digital database, developing tools to run computer assisted analysis of the database, and disseminating the results of both the CHI-KNOW-PO project in the field of Digital Humanities and the postdoc in his/her own field of expertise.

The selected candidate will be offered an annual gross salary of 33,000 € (net salary a little above 2,100€ per month), along with staff benefits in the University of Strasbourg (full social benefits, ongoing training opportunities, access to multiple services and facilities) and funding for conferences, research visits and scientific publications.

Don’t hesitate to apply (by sending a letter of application and a CV first at: bizais@unistra.fr). Interviews will be held online!

I hope to hear from some of you soon. The position will be open until filled.

Marie Bizais-Lillig
Associate Professor of Chinese Ancient Textual Traditions
USIAS Fellow
University of Strasbourg (France)
bizais@unistra.fr

2 Likes