CHR 2020 Online

In November 2020, the first edition of the CHR workshop will take place as an online event!

Dates

Submission deadline extended to July 27

• July 27, 2020: Submission deadline;
  • August 24, 2020: Notification of acceptance;
  • September 18, 2020: Camera-ready papers due;
  • November 18-20, 2020: Online Workshop.

From the call for papers

In the humanities and related social sciences, the use of computational, statistical, and mathematical approaches has increased in recent years. The research can be characterized by (i) relying on quantifiable rather than strictly qualitative evidence; (ii) making explicit and formalizing theory with the help of mathematical and computational models; (iii) making statistical inferences about model parameters; (iv) the use of computational and automatic procedures for processing and analyzing data; and (v) searching for computational analogies through which theories from different disciplines can be unified. And yet, despite the undeniable growth of this new research area, many scholars still feel that there is no suitable research-oriented venue to present and publish their computational work that does not lose sight of questions relevant to the humanities. As such, we aim to fill this niche by creating a community for Computational Humanities Research. Ultimately, the goal of the community is to set up a research-oriented, open-access computational humanities journal. This workshop on Computational Humanities Research (CHR) will serve as a stepping stone to this journal.

See https://www.computational-humanities-research.org/cfp/ for more information about the deadlines and requirements.

Organizers

• Barbara McGillivray (@BarbaraMcGillivray) (Chair), University of Cambridge & The Alan Turing Institute, UK
  • Adina Nerghes (@adina.nerghes) , KNAW Humanities Cluster, The Netherlands
  • Melvin Wevers (@melvin.wevers), KNAW Humanities Cluster, The Netherlands
  • Marieke van Erp (@marieke) , KNAW Humanities Cluster, The Netherlands
  • Folgert Karsdorp (@folgert), KNAW Meertens Institute, The Netherlands
3 Likes

I’m participating in an online workshop for the first time this week.

The organizers put out the following document with instructions for participants and panelists. I think it might be very useful for the CHR workshop as well.

4 Likes

Hi,

A few questions about the submissions and proceedings:

• When will we know about the correct LaTeX template for the paper? An earlier version of the CfP mentioned OASICS (link) but it’s now gone. It is a detail but always good to know for page length, etc.
  • Could you clarify where the papers will be published? This is unclear, as the CfP states that submitted (long) papers must be “completed, original and unpublished” and will be published in the proceedings (where?), but at the same time that a selection of them will be published in a special journal issue (in JOHD, although it’s not in the CfP) – does that mean the same paper will be published twice, once for free and once for ÂŁ300?

A last point, more of a plea than a question: since the event is going to be 100% online, could you pick a video system that has a native linux client? I had to use Adobe Connect recently and it is a real pain to use, and the web app is super unstable.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi!

• About the template: we’ll post a link to the template next week. Stay tuned!
  • The proceedings will be published with CEUR. At first we wanted to go with OASICS, but we decided to choose a free one.
  • If authors want to publish their paper with JOHD, they will need to extend it, to make sure it’s not exactly the same.
  • About the video system: yes, that is the goal!
3 Likes

Thanks, that’s much clearer!

1 Like

The template has been added to the CFP on the website.

5 Likes

We are delighted and excited to announce our first keynote speaker: Anne Kandler from the Department of Human Behavior, Ecology and Culture of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. More details soon!

4 Likes

Equally delighted and excited about our second keynote speaker: Dong Nguyen, working at the Department of Information and Computing Sciences at Utrecht University!

Details about both talks will follow soon, but I can already tell you that it’s gonna be :exploding_head: and :star_struck:!

3 Likes

I know that it may sound impossible, but: I’ve never wrote an academic paper using LaTeX! I will figure it out, since I know how it works, but maybe adding some links to first-time LaTeX guides to website could be useful for newcomers?

2 Likes

That’s an excellent idea! I’ll add more details later, but I would already recommend using the online platform Overleaf (https://www.overleaf.com/).

1 Like

Hi @ash! I created some instructions here: CHR LaTeX Instructions. Let me know if that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s really useful

Hi!

How strict is the “up to 2 pages of references” rule? It seems rather arbitrary (same number of pages for references if one submits an 8-page or a 16-page paper) and doesn’t really allow to properly cite and discuss previous work (in our case at least).

Hmm. Something went wrong there. I believe it should be 4 for the 16 pages paper. We won’t be too strict about it. I’ll update the website.

1 Like

That’s great news, thanks!

We received requests to extend our submission deadline. As a present to you, we offer a, one time only, extension of a week. The new deadline will be July 27.

3 Likes

We are overjoyed with the high number of submissions. Reviewing is now under way, expect a notification of acceptance on Sept. 1. Also, registration to our virtual workshop (Nov 18-20) is now open: https://www.eventbrite.nl/e/chr2020-computational-humanities-workshop-tickets-112189028404

2 Likes

As a ping to this: I’ve been in a day-long remote workshop with BigBlueButton today and frankly this was a very smooth experience, so if you haven’t picked a solution yet I’d recommend giving it a spin

2 Likes

Is there any guidance regarding the length of revised submissions? Is it permissible to extend the length of our final drafts past stated limits by a page or two in order to address reviewer comments?

Sorry for the delayed response.
After some deliberation, we decided to stick to the page limits in the CfP.

For long papers, that is a maximum length of 16 pages with 4 pages of references.
For short papers, 8 pages with 2 pages of references.

We’ve reconsidered our earlier decision. We all benefit from some additional pages to better interact with the reviews:

Long papers may use two additional pages, and short papers may use one.

2 Likes